A note:
Just in case you're wondering, this is not the official website for Green Being Farm. This is just my blog from the summer I spent at the farm.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

June 6th Tour

Remember those little baby chicks? They're now ugly adolescent creatures that have no souls. :-P

We've moved them out into the workshop near the greenhouse so that they have more space to run around. We've also put up chicken wire against the cardboard walls because the dudes are trying to fly up and out already.


We have more little ones though. We just got a bunch of turkeys. They're still cute, for the moment. Notice the turkey chicks have a little bump above their beak... that's their premature snood, I think.



Garden-wise, there is still a ton of tomatoes begging to be planted. Thing is, it hasn't been dry enough long enough for me to work any more of the garden. So the tomatoes will just have to wait another few days.


In the garden things are looking good.




The onions are going for it, as are the fava beans.


The carrots have come up.

So have the beets.


Peas.


Celeric (hard to see in this picture) is still doing well, and hasn't been touched by the deer/birds.

Neither the fennel.

Out in the far acre, the wheat I planted last week has already come up. I did a bit of dance when I saw this:

See that patchy green stuff... here it is up close:


And for comparison, here's the rest of the wheat in the field that was planted two weeks earlier:


By the way, I tried baking loaves of bread using store bought whole wheat (President's Choice Organic), Organic Meadow whole wheat, and Red Fife from Saugeen Specialty Grains. All of the breads tasted okay, but the Red Fife and Organic Meadow had more wheaty flavour to them. The Red Fife in particular is surprisingly different.

The other day I was able to work most of the 1/3 of the acre that's going into potatoes.

I'm a bit worried about not yet having the potatoes in. It feels like it's getting late (but what do I know really). I would have liked to have them in this week, but as I mentioned, it's been so wet and our soil so full of clay that I haven't had much of a chance to work it since getting the compost spread. Bah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. The farm and gardens look great! This is the first time I've checked your blog and I see you've been pretty busy! Feeling jealous of the beautiful rural space you have around you -- our csa garden is surrounded by subdivisions under construction, large factories, six lane highways and an international airport, giving new meaning to the phrase 'commuting to work'... there's even a bus stop down the street from our farm drive!

We're a week or two off on our earliest csa plantings due to the cool spring, so later potatoes just fits in, I guess. I also think a wise farmer once told me that potatoes are ok to go in a little later, as they won't really sprout until the soil warms up anyways?!

Can't wait to see more pig pics... they're so darn cute.

Caro

SuzannaWright said...

Last year I think we planted the potatoes around this time (second week of June) and they were fine... I don't know if the difference in BC/Ontario climates would have made a difference.


Yay farming!